Thursday, August 23, 2012

Surgery Day

 When Rorey was born, the doctors told us that he was going to need a reparative surgery between the ages of 6 and 18 months. We didn't know if Dave was going to have better insurance with a new job, so we waited until we found out on that to do his surgery. It couldn't have fallen on a worse week. Dave had convention the whole week and was unable to attend. Luckily Air was able to swing a shift so she could come help. It was an intense situation. We had to keep him from eating or drinking withing 12 hours of the surgery which was set for noon. For a baby that wakes up at 7am that's a LONG time to wait! We arrived only to continue waiting, as they were behind schedule. After about an hour and a half they came and grabbed him. It was the saddest thing watching them walk him away screaming for me. He was under a lot longer than I originally expected, and after the Dr met with me to say there was a small complication but they were able to resolve things. We then had to wait for him to come out of anesthesia and it took about 2 more hours of recoup time for him to be discharged. We were sent on our way with lortab and antibiotics. Well not even 5 minutes down the road, of course he pukes. I was sitting right next to him. so I got it in the doggie bag, but it got on my hands. I had to hold the puke the whole way home and I was trying not to puke myself. Don't get me wrong I am not that week stomached, but after what the Dr had just explained in full detail what was done to my son, and the emotional role of helping him through the recoup time. My stomach of steel was more like a blender of acid. Once home Air grabbed him to take him to bed as I was close to passing out on the couch, when he puked again all over her and the stairs. JOY! Then came the never ending crying. This is the part that made me despise doctors. Why can't they just tell it to you straight?! All this "It went great!" and "He shouldn't feel pain while on the meds" and "After 48 hours take him off the lortab, because the tylenol should be enough". LIES! I pay thousands to these people to lie. The first 72 hours was like a horror movie of the purple crying. It was horrendous, and I apologize to all who had to put up with this period of recovery. He had a follow up and after explaining my frustrations, it was followed with a "that's perfectly normal". Well thank you for perfectly useless information of expectations. All in all Rorey is fine and dandy now. He is back to his normal self, we just have to take special precautions over the next 4 weeks with his activities.

1 comment:

  1. Poor little guy and poor you, next time call me so I can at least help with Dallen!! Do let me know if you need a meal or babysitting or anything.

    ReplyDelete