The Date
This is the infamous story of how Dave and I got together.
Dave and I grew up in the same neighborhood and it was something some might refer to as "meant to be". As a young girl I played dress up with his younger sister Amy in the bedroom next to Dave's. One day at the age of about 10, we decided to sneak into his room and play with his pet rabbit. Well Dave came home and charged into his room only to yell at us "get out of my room!" From that day on, my mind was made up about David Smith. He was nothing but a "jerk"! To make things worse, my brothers became best friends with his brother as well. The dynamic threesome grew up, and still consider themselves friends to this day. Great on the backside of growing up, but on the front side of having 2 nasty brothers was bad enough. Now add Richard into the mix and it was nothing but irritation and farts. Since Dave was 3 years older than me we missed the school scene together, and he was never one whom I got to really know. Our Mom's and Dad's were integrated through various things but never us.
As a young teenager, I remember teasing all the other girls that when David got home from his mission I would date him just to make them all jealous. However, when the two years ended I was not the perfect little miss that return missionaries were looking to court. Peppered with bad friends and experiences, I didn't want anything to do with them. I was focused on working a full time job and saving for college to pay my own way. I was not going to get serious with a guy until my parents requested age of 30. Well, if that's how the story really went I wouldn't have the life I am living. One day as I was at work, I received a voicemail from this David Smith, a voicemail that merely said please give me a call. Yeah I knew better. I reluctantly called back, and had a short conversation where in return we would be "hanging out this weekend". It was a Friday night when this took place, so naturally I thought Saturday. Well no call came the next day, so I felt hung out to dry. Sunday I went to the singles ward only to see David sitting on a row close to the front with his arm around some other girl. Oh man it was over! Well texts came the following week explaining details that he meant the next weekend. (Yes we still have this problem in communication! :P) The whole week I was so set off, I was asking everyone how I could get out of this date. Saturday came and so did my date. As Dave picked me up, he told me that we would be going to see Fantastic 4 with some friends. We barely talked much before during or after the movie. That's because the friends who came were all, even the girls, return missionaries and they were all showing off their language skills and stories to each other. Something I was not interested in at the time. We went for pizza next door to the theater. I was so put out by the date that when it came time for me to order for myself, I ordered a water! Talk about stuck up! Man I was such a brat! While driving home David told me some really funny stories, and before we got back home I was laughing so hard I was crying. I thought, well at least he has a sense of humor! We stopped in front of my house, and then there was the awkward moment. The moment where you are hoping they will say something about the next date, and hoping that they wont. The moment where you really wonder if this guy would have enough nerve to try to kiss me on the first date. Well none of that happened. Instead I got better. I will write this word for word what was actually said.
"David: Well, you are probably wondering why I asked you on a date.
Naomi's brain: Yeah I was thinking that, but I kinda know you're looking for a wife. Oh how could you think that Naomi?! That's so low to categorize missionaries as wifemongers!
David: Well I just wanted to tell you that I am prospecting you for marriage...
Naomi's brain: OMG OMG OMG Get me out of this car! Did he really just say that? I told you Naomi!
............
Well as you may have guessed, less than 90 days later we were engaged and less than 90 days after that we were married. So as crazy as it may have been, it somehow worked.
We were babies aged 18 and 21. Trying to figure out the world together one day at a time. Man we fell a lot! But the bruising was never more worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment