Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Surprise for Mamyo
 A couple weeks ago I had an idea to make a blanket for my Mom. I wanted to make a special "Thank You" for her hosting us for a visit. I really wanted something that the boys could help out on (mainly Dallen). We went to the fabric store and I grabbed an assortment of colors and prints, then laid them out for Dallen to choose. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the back has a flannel print that says "I love Grandma" with bears. I chose colors that would match the print. He picked out 5 different ones, and they were very bright. I cut out the squares and then came the fun. We stamped half the patches with their hands and feet to make a collage of childhood mayhem. Once it was time for the sewing, things actually went quite smooth. Sewing straight lines is much easier than say a Halloween costume or a Prom dress! Because of the simplicity, I took the opportunity to let Dallen learn how the steps of sewing are executed. He helped at first with lifting and dropping the foot, to pulling out the pins to helping to actually push the fabric through the machine. He loved it! He was so excited about making this gift. We finished it up with some yarn ties, and grabbed some shots with the kiddos. Although originally I had thought of it turning out a little smaller, it ended up being 5' X 6'. Way fun, but not sure when I will attempt it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment